Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New to Cape Parrots
gould
Post New to Cape Parrots
on: October 7, 2011, 04:20

Hello from Florida,
I have recently introduced our newest member of our family to our existing flock.
I have joined this forum to learn more about the Capes. I have always tried to
do as much research as possible on a parrot before deciding if it is the right
fit for us. This is the first time, where I found that there is not nearly enough info out there. If I did not trust the breeder, whom I know and respect,
I may not have made the choice to bring baby "Tamu" home, which I would have regretted. I have many different birds, and so far, have found the Cape to be
one of the best. I am looking forward to learning much more to aid in the care
and well being of "Tamu".

Melinda

Natacha
Advanced
Post Re: New to Cape Parrots
on: October 7, 2011, 14:13

Hi and welcome! We'd love to see pictures of Tamu!
I also have a young Cape (5 months on the 14th).

Craig-
(Thor's-
Dad)
Administrator
on: October 7, 2011, 15:02

Hi Melinda and Tamu,

Welcome to our Cape Place. I started this site because there was so little info. about Cape Parrots. At first this was a place where I compiled all the info. I could find. Now it is a place were others can add to it.

Craig & Thor

gould
on: October 8, 2011, 00:37

Hi Natasha,

Tamu's hatchdate is 5/16 so they are very close in age! I will enjoy watching progress of both of them! Tamu had his/her 1st outing tonight to our Bird club board meeting, and was the highlight of the evening. I think he was happiest to get home to his flock though. We have a large household. Tamu's fids are quite the gang.
Scarlett and Kwai are Soloman Island Eclectus (clutchmates) Trevor is an orange winged amazon who wants his head scritches 1st thing in the morning. Kinda is a Timneh african grey aka jabberjaws, Gizmo is a nanday conure who says "wookie likes it" which is like Hawaiian hello and goodbye, meaning his likes it or doesnt like.. its all in the tone of how it is said. You know if you hear it. Gizmo has turned out to be a male, simply by having friend Buddy (who we thought was a male) laying eggs. Buddy is a quaker. Then to Tinker, our hahns macaw, who says emphatically " whats your problem, you got a problem?" no attitude there.. He is the oldest of the flock at approx 20 years old. Refuses to leave a feather on his little body. If you notice I am typing at 3am, not because I couldnt sleep, but I was awakened by a little bird screamimg as he plucked. So we sat for a bit, until I was told "its time for bed".
Beebers and Quessa are indian ringneck clutchmates. beebers is blue, quessa albino. We now know that beebers is a male with his pretty ring around his neck, quessa we think may also be male, but will not be able to know unless we DNA or until she/he mates with smokey the grey ringneck. Smokey is in love with ME not quessa and quessa is not happy with that situation at all. Po, is the feathered pingpong ball , goffin cockatoo. And quite the handful. Husband watch your back, PO will take a chunk if you are in PO/mommy territory. And finally, we have "E" our lutino cockatiel, who sings us oh what a beautiful morning, and chauncy who started this madness by landing on my windshield. Chauncey is a little yellow budgie. With Tamu,,, 14 and not a bird more in total. Quite the handful. Trevor, PO, Tinker, and Buddy are rescue birds. PO had been rehomed 7 times prior to coming to us.. in 7 years. And 7 years of horrible diets, and behavioral issues. We have made wonderful progress in the past year.. like night and day. Trevor has been a delight, just a small step up issue with hands at first. Tinker had a poor diet, and tiny cage that he lived in all his life. He now has a mansion. We also suspect metal toxicity.Tinker has an expanded vocabulary, and sometimes is a bit spooky with his ability to put sentences together at the appropriate times.
And Buddy, is Gizmo and cage possessive, otherwise a sweet bird (who has learned quite the vocab from Tinker)

So all in all... after our 7 human children have flown the coop, we had the empty nest syndrome, apparently. We enjoy every single one of our birds, they come out 2x each day for playtime, socialization and feedings of fresh foods.
Everyone has been very interested in "the baby". But baby Tamu is still a bit removed from his flock for a little while longer. Just small visits each day.

gould
on: October 8, 2011, 00:45

Hi Craig & Thor,

Thank you for the warm welcoming to Thor's Cape Parrot Site. Tamu and I are looking forward to meeting other Cape parrots and their parents for specialized guidance. . I am new to blogging, so I will probably be loaded with questions on this subject as well. 😮

Melinda

DVScottysM-
om
Pro
on: October 10, 2011, 10:45

Welcome!!

gould
on: October 10, 2011, 19:24

Thanks!

How long have you had your Cape parrot? I have only had Tamu for a few weeks now. Any suggestions ? He is an active,and playful little one. I found that Tamu loves little foot toys and balls. And loves is bath!

Melinda

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.075 seconds.