Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Forum Hacked
Craig-
(Thor's-
Dad)
Administrator
Post Forum Hacked
on: September 28, 2011, 22:48

On Tuesday September 27th this forum was hacked and destroyed by vandals. Every post was erased. Luckily I make regular backups of the site and with the help of this forums programmer I was able to restore it. I don't think anything was lost. Code has been written to plug the hole used by the hackers so hopefully the forum will be safe a for a little while.

I don't know why but for most of the 11 years that I've had this site it has been under constant attack by hackers and spammers. This is the third forum I've had on this site. The first two were made unusable by hackers/spammers. I've added many layers of defenses to this site but still they get through.

Why?

Natacha
Advanced
Post Re: Forum Hacked
on: September 29, 2011, 15:28

Some people have way too much time on their hands and nothing better to do...and truly, if bothering hacking anything at all, what would doing this site accomplish to them?

Fernand
Advanced
on: September 30, 2011, 13:42

Could it be possible that it comes from the server? There is always a poker game on the top of your website (pub, probably). Hackers are always looking for this kind of websites to hack. May be the problem comes from there...

Craig-
(Thor's-
Dad)
Administrator
on: September 30, 2011, 14:18

This site has been under attack since well before I put ads on it. The problem has been that since I first started this site 11 years ago I've tried to make it interactive. Of course every time you open anything to the public the hackers/spammers see that as an opportunity. I could lock the site down and only allow myself to post but what fun would that be. The whole idea of this site from the beginning has been to gather knowledge from everyone familiar with Cape Parrots 'cause honestly I don't know that much. I sure didn't when I started this site.

Michael
Regular
on: October 3, 2011, 12:56

Craig, I think it's because you are using generic open source software which everyone can get a copy of and learn its vulnerabilities. If you'd custom code it, they'd have a much less likely chance than just doing what they do to all users of a particular piece of software. Proprietary is another way to go.

Craig-
(Thor's-
Dad)
Administrator
on: October 3, 2011, 15:21

The hackers exploited a hole in a popular Captcha routine that is used on many sites. I don't use that feature on this forum but the vulnerability was still there. It's been fixed now.

I don't have the time or money to setup a fancy forum (they get hacked too) so I will keep this one for now. If it becomes too much trouble I'll just delete it.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.061 seconds.